[Image-SIG] Tkinter and Antialiasing

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 13 02:58:35 CEST 2009

You are right, I should have dropped this into the Tkinter mail list.
Thanks for the info, but I think I'd like to stick to Tkinter for now. I
do have a way out of my dilemma. I'm trying to draw something like a
compass, and I don't necessarily need the lines emenating from the
center to the edge of a circle. I can just intersect the circle with
maybe a 10-20 pixel line. Out of curosity, I will re-post over in Tk-ville.

Guilherme Polo wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Wayne Watson
> <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> If I draw a fairly slanted line across an image using Tkinter, it looks
>> a bit jagged. Is this typical of Tkinter graphics, or is there an option
>> or mechanism that will antialias?
>>

> I'm not sure if this is ontopic for image-sig, but..
>
> Tkinter is not really responsible for the drawing, it just passes the
> responsibility to tk. The standard tk canvas is not going to give you
> pretty results, but there is an option if you want to continue using
> tk for this. Last time I checked you could use the tkpath extension
> (can be found at http://tclbitprint.sourceforge.net/), and maybe there
> are other extensions to do the same.
>

>> Win XP, Python 2.5, Tkinter 8.4.

           All the neutrons, and protons in the human body occupy
           a cube whose is 5.52*10**-6 meters. That adds up to a
           150 pound person. It's not a surprise that we are mostly
           space. (Calculation by WTW)