[Image-SIG] Remove Noise from a National Weather Service Radar Image (.gif)

J.D. Main jdmain at comcast.net
Sat Apr 18 16:54:34 CEST 2009

I have a desire to work with National Weather Service Radar Images.  In the
United State the NWS provides a service where GIF images are updated
every 5 minutes or so with the latest snapshot from a dopler radar site

Here's a URL explaining all this:  http://radar.weather.gov/GIS.html

In short these images are GIF files with a 256 color pallete.  The
"interesting" pixels in these images are red, green, yellow and blue.

The pixels representing radar "noise" usually appear as brown, grey, and

My desire is to iterate over all pixels and remove the noise.  The pseudo
code would look something like this:

for pixel in radar_image:
   if pixel is noise:
      turn pixel white
      do nothing

I'm having a hard time with this.  Can anyone provide some insight into a
method?  It would be greatly appreciated.