[Image-SIG] PIL installation on Snow Leopard

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 21 19:22:35 CET 2009

Christopher Brewster wrote:
> On a clean install on Snow Leopard, I have installed:

I don't have snow leopard, so I can't test anything , but a few comments:

> - python 2.6.4 using the Mac installer on python.org
> - In accordance with instructions here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1438270/installing-python-imaging-library-pil-on-snow-leopard-with-updated-python-2-6-2
> I issues the command export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0

note that those instructions were written for 2.6.2 -- I think 2.6.4 may
do the right thing without that command. I'd try it.

> and now PIL but I get the following errors which I do not know how to interpret:
> ----
> Compiling with an SDK that doesn't seem to exist: /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk

well, do you have:

/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk

I suspect not. I think it's an optional install with XCode (you did
install XCode, didn't you?)

I think this is your show-stopper -- try going back to however you
installed XCode,a nd look for a box to check to install the 10.4u SDK.

If this doesn't work, I'd try the pythonmac list.

HTH,

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov