[Image-SIG] Determine byte offset of JPEG SOI marker

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sun Feb 1 17:35:18 CET 2009

In the files I'm looking at, the SOI marker (ffd8) is at offset 0.  But
assuming you have some where it is not, why not just open the file, and
look for the marker?:

    head = open(jpg_filename, "rb").read(4000)
    soi_offset = head.find('\xff\xd8')

You're going to have to open and read the file to compute the checksum
anyway...

--Ned.
http://nedbatchelder.com