[Image-SIG] Extending/Hacking on PIL

Jonathan Lozinski j_lozinski at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 14:43:18 CET 2009

I'm looking to add certain functionaly to PIL.  I want to be doing this in C, with it being computationally expensive.  (I want to play with curve adjustments and decomposing to HSV etc ala gimp).  What's the best way to do this?  Should I uninstall my PIL from my distro, get the source, compile and install, then make edits compile and install, or can I create a separate PIL namespace, like PIL.MyTest, which is compiled and installed separately?

Any pointers to get going on this would be greatly appreciated.
Jonathan