[Image-SIG] feature detection/location in images

Guy K. Kloss g.kloss at massey.ac.nz
Tue Jul 14 06:37:21 CEST 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:31:14 Kevin Cazabon wrote:
> I don't need to find specific features, but need to find a small set
> of distinct features consistently in similar images (for aligning them
> together).  I can brute-force this with min/max values/etc, but was
> hoping for some help on something more elegant and efficient.  Any
> pointers would be appreciated, thanks!

I've accomplished something similar using OpenCV functions that correlate a
template to an area and return a matrix of correlation ratings. Then finding
in the matrix the extreme value (max or min depending on the function) you can
find your "best match".

Currently I'd advise the ctypes-opencv bindings by Minh-Tri Pham to use the
code from Python. It's quite speedy and works well, just need to play a bit
with the functions to find out which works best for your case.

HTH,

Guy

--
Guy K. Kloss
Institute of Information and Mathematical Sciences