[Image-SIG] Lanczos interpolation

Franz Buchinger fbuchinger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 13:58:38 CEST 2009

A good old trick is to work with intermediate images: resize the image using
the Bilinear method and produce an intermediate image that is about 25%
larger than the final image.
Then you can downscale the intermediate image using Lanczos.

This should give a much better performance than working just with Lanczos,
especially for large downscaling ratios (e.g. 10 Megapixel JPEG -> 1024x768)
.
Image quality shouldn't be affected too much by this method.

Franz