[Image-SIG] Group4 Tiff Decoder?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed May 20 14:34:58 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Greg Taylor <gtaylor at clemson.edu> wrote:

> Googling around, I keep seeing mention over the years that PIL has no Group4
> tiff decoder. I saw mention of a patch for PIL 1.1.4, but it doesn't look
> like this ever made it into upstream. Perhaps I haven't dug deep enough, but
> can anyone enlighten me to what the situation is currently with Group4 Tiff
> decoding? I'd love to be able to use PIL for some mission critical stuff at
> work, but this is a show-stopper due to our setup.

The patch depended on too many libtiff internals for me to feel
confident that it was a good idea to add it to PIL's standard
distribution; there are a few other bindings, but none that feels
complete enough.

In addition to the solution already posted, you can use "tiffcp -c
none -r -1 %s %s" % (myfilename, tempfilename) to unpack to a
temporary file; this is fairly efficient since PIL can then memory map
the resulting image file.  The tiffcp utility is shipped with libtiff.