[Image-SIG] Some issue with easy_install and PIL/Imaging

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Oct 5 11:19:09 CEST 2009

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> The problem is that too many people arguing for eggs do this by
> sending nastygrams, which doesn't really provide much motivation for
> doing anything about it (I don't do asshole-driven development).

Indeed, I couldn't agree more, and I'm sorry you've been subjected to this.

My (hopefully more polite) request still stands though:
 >> Would there be any problems for you in naming the distribution in a
 >> setuptools-friendly way from the next point release?

 > The
> public review PIL got a couple a minutes ago matches some of the
> private mail I've gotten:
>
>    no egg - worst seen ever, remove it from pypi or provide an egg
> (jensens, 2009-10-05, 0 points)

*sigh*

Interesting timing, myself and Doug Hellmann have been trying to
persuade Martin von Lewis that while ratings are fine, the commenting
system is likely to be abused:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=513503&aid=2866081&group_id=66150
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=513503&aid=2872293&group_id=66150

I'll put in a request to have that comment removed...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk