[Image-SIG] PIL on Snow Leopard

Andy Lei andylei at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 22:19:17 CEST 2009

I'm trying to reinstall PIL on OS X Snow Leopard, and I'm having some
issues.  PIL builds and installs fine (selftest.py works fine, and running
build_ext -i says that jpeg support is okay), but libjpeg is still giving me
problems.
In Python (I'm using the default Apple build, version 2.6), when I try to
import _imaging, or do certain things w/ jpegs, I get the error:

>>> import _imaging
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/PIL/_imaging.so, 2):
Symbol not found: _jpeg_resync_to_restart
  Referenced from: /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/PIL/_imaging.so
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/PIL/_imaging.so

I've tried rebuilding and reinstalling several times, using None for
JPEG_ROOT, the Apple supplied libjpeg (/usr/local/lib/libjpeg.dylib) as well
as the fink version (/sw/lib/libjpeg.dylib).

Anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks everyone!

Andy