[Image-SIG] python PIL 16-bit tiff files

Sebastian Haase seb.haase at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 11:21:09 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Dan Blacker
<dan.blacker at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Thanks for your input,
>
> The image is only of a tiny cropped area of a long strip of color kodachrome
> film - I will send a better example with some more color in it when I get a
> chance.
>
> I was under the impression that PIL handled 16 bit images (experimentally)
> but does this only apply to 16-bit grayscale images?
>
> Am I going up a dead end trying to read my images with PIL?

Dan,
read my first reply: if someone could figure out how to add the
"correct" key line,
it might be an easy fix.
Otherwise I would try to use imagemagick (or alike) to separate RGB
into 3 separate gray images.
I am working with 16-bit gray TIFs in PIL for many years without
problem. (only to go immediately to numpy arrays then though; I can't
say anything about PIL's other functions, like cropping...)

- Sebastian