[Image-SIG] Performance for image processing in Python

Son Hua songuke at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 04:31:41 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new Python here. Recently I wrote an image mosaicking
application in Python (using Numpy library). It turns out that the
performance is quite terrible. For example, a mosaic of 7 images, each
800x600, the output size is about 8000x2000. Each output pixel is
sampled from the source images using bilinear interpolation according to
the inverse homography. The running time is nearly 1 hour.

State-of-the-art commercial mosaicking software (written in C) runs the
above examples in less than 10 seconds!!!

I wonder how is other Python image processing applications' performance?
Do we always need to implement slow functions in C? E.g., I suppose to
reimplement the bilinear interpolation in C, as it is called million
times in Python, which is slow.

Thank you.