[Image-SIG] Create a 'disabled' image effect (similar to how Windows shows disabled images)

Kevin Cazabon kevin at cazabon.com
Wed Dec 1 21:26:25 CET 2010

I do this in some of my work too -

Making it black and white is one thing, but normally I'd suggest you also map the levels to a much narrower range (make black mid-gray, and white light-gray).  I simple "point" can do that:

        # make the image appear "deleted"
        map = []
        for q in range(3):
            for i in range(256):
                map.append(params.get("deletedMap")[0] + int(((params.get("deletedMap")[1] - params.get("deletedMap")[0]) * (i/256.0)) + 0.5))
        image = image.point(map)

In my case I leave it as a color image, and the params.get simply pulls from a parameter class where I store my preferences for the darkest and lightest I want to map to.  You can always replace that line with something simple like:

map.append(int(100 + (i * 0.25) + 0.5))

which will map it down to levels 100 to 164

Kevin.