[Image-SIG] Possible to fade a small Tkinter image into a specific background color?

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Tue Dec 7 03:38:34 CET 2010

Wondering if there's a PIL/Tkinter technique I can use to fade a
small image into a specific background color?

Use case: I have a small message area that displays both an icon
and text message. I can fade my foreground text into its
background container by iteratively moving my message text's rgb
components towards its background rgb value until my text has the
same foreground and background colors.

I'm wondering if there's a similar technique I can use with PIL
and its Image, ImageTk classes to do the same with an image
displayed in Tkinter? I suspect I can do this by inspecting and
updating every pixel individually, but this seems very
inefficent.

Thank you,
Malcolm