[Image-SIG] OpenGL texture images

Jef Mangelschots jef.mangelschots at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 09:54:03 CET 2010

Hi,
the PIL handbook I found covers 1.1.5 (no 1.1.6 handbook available yet)
It mentions that the ImageGL portion will be in PIL1.1.6 but only for PIL
Plus.
When I click the PIL Plus link, it says that this library is no longer
available.

I have installed PIL 1.1.6 for Python 2.6

When I import ImageGL, it complains that it can not find _imaginggl
extension module:

>>> import ImageGL
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\PIL\ImageGL.py", line 20, in <module>
    import _imaginggl
ImportError: No module named _imaginggl

In C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\PIL\ImageGL.py,I read the following
comment:
# OpenGL pixmap/texture interface (requires imToolkit OpenGL extensions)

when I google imToolkit, it can not find that.

Can anyone shed some light on the story here.
Is it possible to load OpenGL texture images in PIL ?
If so, how ? What do I need ?
Where can I find imToolkit ?
If this function was never completed, what would it take to implement this ?
any alternatives ?

regards
Jef