[Image-SIG] Mac binaries to test

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Thu Jul 1 00:37:32 CEST 2010

I built two Mac binaries of PIL 1.1.7: one for Python 2.5, the other for
Python 2.6. Both should be compatible with Mac OS X 10.3.9 and later.

They are missing support for Little CMS (despite building and installing
it; I don't know what went wrong), but the self test showed everything
else was working fine.

Please give them a try. If they are deemed suitable I hope they can be
served at the official site.

-- Russell

Overview of how I built them:
- I built libjpeg 8b, libfreetype 2.3.12 and lcms2-2.0a from source,
first defining MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 and running configure as
follows:
env CFLAGS="-O -g -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386
-arch ppc" LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch ppc"  ./configure
--disable-dependency-tracking

I ran self-tests (make check) if available. The lcms tests failed with
complaints about architecture even though the file command showed the
right library was built with the correct architecture so I left it
installed in hopes it would work (but it didn't).

I then deleted the dynamic libraries from /usr/local/lib
and built PIL using bdist_mpkg.

PIL's self-test shows (for the Python 2.6 version):
$ python selftest.py
PIL 1.1.7 TEST SUMMARY
Python modules loaded from
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-pack
ages/PIL
Binary modules loaded from
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-pack
ages/PIL
--- PIL CORE support ok
--- TKINTER support ok
--- JPEG support ok