[Image-SIG] that's enough

donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 11:13:04 CEST 2010

On 29/07/2010 04:56, Jack Uretsky wrote:
>      I suspect that my phrasing was a distraction.  There is a python
> command that brings up an X11 window.  Is there a python command that
> make the window go away?
>      This is a general question, independent of the particular context
> of my program.
You've already been given all the best info: If you want to work with
images, and you want some control over that, then use a gui toolkit.
Your choices: Tk, WxWidgets, GTK, QT and then it gets harder.

If you want to open a given image file without much control, then simply
fire-off a call to your o/s to open file 'X' using program 'Y' with
popen or subprocess (see Python docs).
  To close program 'Y', make sure you keep its process-id and then use
similar means to call kill. Some image viewers may even replace the last
image with the new one, so you can leave it open.

Think 'scripting by pipes' if you don't want to use a gui toolkit.

\d