[Image-SIG] Getting PIL to work on OSX Snow Leopard

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Sat Jun 5 19:15:34 CEST 2010

Simon Mosk-Aoyama wrote:

> I've seemingly re-built libjpeg correctly from source and
> have re-built PIL to point at this newly built libjpeg, but it's still
> failing.

It sure looks like you've done the right thing...

> Does anyone else have any idea how to solve this?

NO, but something that might give a hint. Try:

$ otool -L PIL/_imaging.so

That will tell you what PIL is linked against.

Once you see that, you may want to run otool on the libs it's linked
against, too.

What python are you using? If you use the one from python.org, you can
use the binary I posted a little bit ago:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/855965/PIL-OSX-Binaries/PIL-1.1.7-py2.6-macosx10.5.mpkg.zip

I built those by building libjpeg, etc. with macports, then the usual
setup.py build -- it "just worked" for me I got lucky, I suppose!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov