[Image-SIG] McIdas Image Plugin

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jun 17 14:19:15 CEST 2010

2010/6/17 Reymer Antonio Vargas Solano <ravs at fisica.ucr.ac.cr>:
> Hello
>
>  I trying to use the McIdasImagePlugin.py, We have a lot of old McIdas area
> files on some disc, and we are trying to get information about the files. so
> I'm trying to write an script get information about the files, for e.g the
> original date, and the band of the image, but I need help, do you have the
> "README" file of the plugin?? or some idea to get the information..

The module is part of the PIL library.  Just open the files as usual,
and inspect the image properties:

>>> from PIL import Image
>>> im = Image.open("some mcidas file")
>>> print im.mode
>>> print im.size
>>> print im.info
>>> im.save("copy.png")

Note that it's a very basic reader; it only supports basic 8/16/32-bit
images, and I don't think it extracts any metadata beyond pixel format
and size.