[Image-SIG] Getting PIL to work on OSX Snow Leopard

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Jun 20 17:48:16 CEST 2010

2010/6/5 Simon Mosk-Aoyama <simonsez at gmail.com>:
> Chris,
> Thanks so much for the suggestion!
> I ran the otool command and noted that the _imaging.so is linked to the
> wrong (newer) libjpeg:
>
> simon@/Users/simon/: otool -L PIL/_imaging.so
> PIL/_imaging.so:
>         /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.8.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current
> version 9.1.0)
>         /opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 1.2.5)
>         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 125.0.1)
>
> so seems like I may have misconfigured setup.py.

According to my tests, PIL works just fine with libjpeg verions 7 and
8 (there's been a bit of version inflation over there lately :-).

I guess you could get into trouble if you build with header files for
libjpeg 6 and then link the result against libjpeg 7/8, but I have no
idea if that's the case.