[Image-SIG] PIL PNG encoding performance

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Mar 11 14:49:39 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Oliver Tonnhofer <olt at bogosoft.com> wrote:

> On 04.03.2010, at 14:31, Oliver Tonnhofer wrote:
>>
>> Any opinions or suggestions on that? I would do a fork on bitbucket then
>> and start hacking.
>
> Ok, I just started :)
> I added compress_level and compress_type as save options for png files. The
> default behaviour is identical to 1.1.7.
>
> Anyone care to review?
> http://bitbucket.org/olt/pil-117/changeset/8d4661695edd/

Thanks.  I'll take a look when I find the time (and borrow the code if
that's fine with you).

> I load the ZLIB constants (Z_RLE, etc) into the _imaging module and then
> into Image. I'm not sure if that's OK, or if I should create some new
> constant values.
>
> I did not prefix the constants, but maybe it is time to start with it.
> BILINEAR, RLE, FLOYDSTEINBERG, ADAPTIVE, ... it's getting a bit confusing.

Well, they all have the "Image." prefix :)

Not sure somewhat specialized encoder-specific settings should live in
that namespace, though; might be better to put them in the codec
module itself.  I'll think of something.