[Image-SIG] [Pythonmac-SIG] PIL binaries -- please test

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed May 26 01:21:57 CEST 2010

Matthias Baas wrote:
> Christopher Barker wrote:
>> Much to my surprise, I had a little time to build some PIL binaries:
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/855965/PIL-OSX-Binaries/PIL-1.1.7-py2.5-macosx10.5.mpkg.zip
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/855965/PIL-OSX-Binaries/PIL-1.1.7-py2.6-macosx10.5.mpkg.zip

>> I built them on OS-X 10.5 (leopard), so they may not work on 10.4 I'd
>> love if someone could test and see if they do, however, I no longer have
>> a 10.4 system to test on.
>
> I tried the py2.6 binary on OSX 10.4. The package installs fine but it
> can't really load an image. When I open a jpg, I can read its size but
> as soon as I try to load the data, I get an import error:
>
> ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed
>
> When I try to import _imaging manually I get:
>
> ImportError: dlopen(./_imaging.so, 2): Symbol not found: _clock$UNIX2003
>   Referenced from: ./_imaging.so
>   Expected in: dynamic lookup

Thanks for testing -- it's pretty much what I expected. I build libjpeg
will macports, and it linked it against the 10.5 system libs. It's
certainly possible to build libs that are 10.4 compatible, but it's a
pain to do on a 10.5 machine.

I don't have much time, so these will remain 10.5 and above binaries,
unless someone steps up to build universal versions of the dependencies
that work with 10.4.

NOTE: it was trivial to build them with macports on 10.5. However, last
time I tried on 10.4, I had trouble. But if you have a 10.4 system and
want to give it a try:

$ sudo port install jpeg +universal

and see if it works -- if it does, try the other dependencies (I think
it's freetype, zlib, and lcms -- see the PIL README)

Fredrik -- it's up to you what you want to post on your site, but if we
hear from some others that they work for them, you might want to post
these, making it clear they work only for the python.org binaries and
OS-X 10.5 and above.

For what it's worth, I built these on an Intel 10.5 system and they work
there and on my PPC 10.5 system, so that's a start.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov