[Image-SIG] Unable to import _imaging

Esben Bugge esbenbugge at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 22:30:55 CET 2010

Hi

I am trying to install PIL on Mac OS.X 10.6 for the purpose of using
Satchmo. After installation I tried

$ python
>>> import PIL
>>> import Image
>>> import _imaging
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError:
dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/PIL/_imaging.so,
2): Symbol not found: _jpeg_resync_to_restart
  Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/PIL/_imaging.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

I believe that jpeglib (version 7) is properly installed: I am able to run
the tests that are provided with the source of jpeglib.

I am quite new to installing stuff via the command-line. I did a lot of
searches on Google and found some guys with the same problem - but I have
not been able to find a solution that fixes the problem for me. Any ideas on
what I can check?

Any help appreciated!