[Image-SIG] import ICCProfile Error

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Nov 13 14:40:42 CET 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Bharathwaaj Srinivasan
<bharathwaaj.s at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get the images-demo working for google appengine.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-app-engine-samples/source/browse/trunk/images-demo
>
> The full traceback can be found here:
>
> http://pastebin.com/cBn6cA0V

Hmm. First time I've ever seen that error in any context.  Looks like
GAE's import mechanisms cause some trouble for relative imports that
won't happen if you run things stand-alone.  And it looks like PIL's
far from the only library suffering from this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22SystemError:+Parent+module+*+not+loaded%22

even if most PIL reports I found seem to be for GAE.  My guess is that
it's some misfeature in the changes to relative import that was
introduced in 2.6 (iirc), but since it doesn't happen when you run PIL
in a normal configuration, I'm not sure how to debug it.  If someone
can come up with a simple test case that triggers this, let me know.

I guess this also means that adding an ICCProfile module to the path
won't help you; if you cannot figure out something better, you might
have to comment out the problematic code (or you could try replacing
the relative import with a "from PIL import" and see if that helps).

</F>