[Image-SIG] PIL and Maya 64bit

Andrew_Seymour at scee.net Andrew_Seymour at scee.net
Tue Aug 16 12:51:10 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've integrated PIL into some of our tools for Maya. In particular I use
it to create 16bit TIFFs.

In Maya 2010 64 bit which I believe uses Python 2.6.1 everything worked
fine. I got compiled versions of PIL from:
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/
which worked great.

I'm now preparing to move to the latest version of 64bit Maya which I
believe uses Python 2.6.4.

I'm having problems with importing the _imaging module.

With the path added to the system path I first got this error:

# Error: ImportError: file <maya console> line 7: DLL load failed: The
specified module could not be found. #

I then used dependency walker to try and find out what was missing. I then
tried to include a 64 bit version of msvcr90.dll in the PIL directory.
This resulted in the following error:

# Error: ImportError: file <maya console> line 1: DLL load failed: A
dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed. #

I personally don't have the know how or software to compile PIL locally as
I am a Technical Artist and not a fully blown programmer.

Can you help or advise? Am I on the right track with the msvcr90.dll?

Andrew Seymour
Principal Technical Artist
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
http://eu.playstation.com

If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster at scee.net
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for
all known viruses.
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
Registered Office: 10 Great Marlborough Street, London W1F 7LP, United
Kingdom
Registered in England: 3277793