[Image-SIG] Installing PIL on Mac OS 10.5

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Tue Aug 30 22:32:51 CEST 2011

In article
<CALRNUCthrYA28h8vr9TgfB8FKddrrMpE7BOELsj6X-SAycLq9Q at mail.gmail.com>,
 AJ Fitzgerald <fitzosity at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm running Mac OS 10.5.8 with Python 2.7 installed. I've been trying to
> easy_install PIL 1.1.7 for use with Django but I'm getting this error:
>
> unable to execute gcc-4.0: No such file or directory
> error: command 'gcc-4.0' failed with exit status 1
>
> Any suggestions?

If you are using Python from python.org  then use my unofficial binary
installer (I wish it was official, but the Frederik is apparently
unwilling to serve it).

<http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/rowen/python/>

If you want to build from source then you'll need to install XCode and
the prerequisite libraries. My notes on that are:
Install libjpeg or point the build system to the version in /usr/X11
Install freetype or point the build system to the version in /usr/X11
Install littleCMS (I installed version 1.19 because I could not build
2-2.0a)

-- Russell