[Image-SIG] Can't get selftest.py to pass

Jean-Pierre Andre' Hill jeanpierrehill at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 10:47:08 CEST 2011

Hi,

When I run "$ python setup.py build_ext -i" I get:
"""
running build_ext
--- using frameworks at /System/Library/Frameworks
PIL 1.1.7 SETUP SUMMARY
version       1.1.7
platform      darwin 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Jun 24 2010, 21:47:49)
              [GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)]
--- TKINTER support available
--- JPEG support available
--- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support available
*** FREETYPE2 support not available
*** LITTLECMS support not available
To add a missing option, make sure you have the required
library, and set the corresponding ROOT variable in the
setup.py script.

To check the build, run the selftest.py script.
"""

Then I run "python selftest.py" and get:
"""
PIL 1.1.7 TEST SUMMARY
Python modules loaded from ./PIL
Binary modules loaded from ./PIL
--- PIL CORE support ok
--- TKINTER support ok
*** JPEG support not installed
--- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
*** FREETYPE2 support not installed
*** LITTLECMS support not installed
Running selftest:
Failure in example:
try:
 _info(Image.open(os.path.join(ROOT, "Images/lena.jpg")))
except IOError, v:
 print v
from line #24 of selftest.testimage
Expected: ('JPEG', 'RGB', (128, 128))
Got: decoder jpeg not available
1 items had failures:
   1 of  57 in selftest.testimage
***Test Failed*** 1 failures.
*** 1 tests of 57 failed.
"""

I get the EXACT same error for both "JPEG_ROOT = None" and 'JPEG_ROOT = "sw/lib", "sw/lib/" ' which should point to the directory where fink installed libjpeg.

I've searched the web and tried multiple recommendations to no avail.  I can't find anything explaining why the build would work and the test would fail.  I'm running OS X 10.6.7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

JP