[Image-SIG] "ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed."

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri May 6 23:37:11 CEST 2011

On 5/6/11 1:38 PM, Susi wrote:
> Hey! Thanks for your reply.
>
> I have OSX 10.6.7, Python comes on the mac, so I didn't install it.

Personally, I always use the python.org installer for Python, then often
third party package binaries are available. Peruse the python-mac list
for far more discussion of the trade offs than you'll ever want to read....

But anyway, if you only want to run things on your own machine, then the
Apple Python should be fine.

> 2.6.1. I installed PIL like this:
>
> |fink install libjpeg
> curl -Ohttp://effbot.org/media/downloads/Imaging-1.1.6.tar.gz
>
> tar -xzf Imaging-1.1.6.tar.gz
> cd Imaging-1.1.6
> sudo python setup.py install

Did you get any error messages or anything? I'm not sure that distutils
is going to find fink-installed libraries without some tweeking. I also
thought there was more than one extra lib needed, but maybe not these days.

Anyway, take a careful look at the output to look for hints of problems.

I also like to do:

python setup.py build
sudo python setup.py install

so I can see what happens during build, and there is no need for sudo
for the build step.

> If you have any ideas, please let me know. I also had a question; is PIL
> required for python to use images that aren't .bmps? Sorry, I'm totally
> new. Thanks again if you reply!! :)

something is -- the standard lib doesn't have support for images -- PIL
is the most widely used, and a nice choice.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov