[Image-SIG] Natty: Python Imaging Library in a virtualenv - no JPEG or PNG support

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Thu May 12 12:17:37 CEST 2011

Am 09.05.2011, 18:34 Uhr, schrieb George V. Reilly <george at reilly.org>:

> I'm unable to build PIL with JPEG and PNG support in Ubuntu 11.04. I
> posted this to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1751455 on
> Friday but have received no responses.
> We build our Python webservices in a virtualenv with all external
> packages stored locally. This gives us reproducible results on a
> variety of Linux distros, Mac, and Windows, both for developer
> machines and production boxes.

PIL isn't safe for use with easy_install. I hope that Naoki's post about
the x86_64 libraries has helped as this came up recently.

For virtualenv's the best choice, however, is to use the Pillow fork of
PIL which runs fine with easy_install or pip. Oh, and try to avoid
"activate" unless you're very confident of what you're doing.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director