[Image-SIG] Does PIL ImageDraw create shape objects or stain pixels?

Chris.Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 3 17:50:38 CET 2011

On 11/2/11 2:17 PM, Jeff Brantley wrote:
> Thank you both for the feedback. In the meantime, I made some major
> changes to my drawing algorithm that resulted in about a 20X reduction
> in width and probably a similar factor reduction in the number of line
> objects drawn. Now the tk canvas performance problems are virtually
> gone, so it seems I can continue prototyping with it.

Are you using TK for a GUI here? or just for drawing? If GUI, I'd stick
with it (or choose another GUI toolkit, wx drawing is pretty fast, or
even openGL if you need to quickly re-draw the same stuff at different
scales or views.

If you're not making a GUI app and just need drawing, I'd go with a
drawing API -- PIL, or maybe Kiva or Cairo or something.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov