[Image-SIG] PIL 1.1.7 PNG bug?

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Thu Sep 22 14:45:10 CEST 2011

Am 22.09.2011, 14:20 Uhr, schrieb Alex Clark <aclark at aclark.net>:

> Right, in other words if I understand you correctly any internal patches
> should only be applied if they directly correspond to previous or
> upcoming changes in PIL itself. Even then, the preferred approach would
> be to bulk-import the next PIL release into Pillow (and replace the
> 1.1.7 release code).

Personally, I would like to see *no* internal changes in Pillow. It should
just be the pip/easy_install compatible form of PIL, hopefully folded back
in when distutils2 rules the waves.

>   So, this issue should be filed against PIL where we can track it
> appropriately (whether that means we wait for a new PIL release then
> re-package it, or cherry pick and include specific things we know will
> be in the next PIL release would depend on the circumstances.)

The bug preferably with tests and patch should be passed upstream and if
necessary another release of PIL cut. That would fit my definition of
playing nicely with Fredrik's hard work.

BTW. Could you update the docs of Pillow to point to MacPorts or Brew as
well as Fink for managing the required libraries? And it would be nice if
we could get Pillow to hook up to the Windows binaries if possible.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director