[Image-SIG] PIL fails to install in virtualenv of one volume

Alec Taylor alec.taylor6 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 11:25:48 CET 2012

For some reason I cannot get PIL to install in a virtualenv on my F:
drive, but it works fine on my C: drive.

#########

F:\Users\Alec Taylor\Projects>virtualenv env_PIL && env_PIL\Scripts\activate
New python executable in env_PIL\Scripts\python.exe
Installing setuptools................done.
Installing pip....................done.
(env_PIL) F:\Users\Alec Taylor\Projects>pip install PIL
Output: http://pastebin.com/VNR6rjLh
[Failure]

#########
So I thought it might've erred due to spaces in the path, since this worked:
#########

C:\workingdir>virtualenv env_PIL && env_PIL\Scripts\activate
New python executable in env_PIL\Scripts\python.exe
Installing setuptools................done.
Installing pip....................done.
(env_PIL) C:\workingdir>pip install PIL

Output: http://pastebin.com/D1exTTCU
[Success]

#########
But when trying with spaces in the path on the C: it worked fine:
#########

C:\workingdir>mkdir "dir space\a" && cd "dir space\a"

C:\workingdir\dir space\a>virtualenv env_PIL && env_PIL\Scripts\activate
New python executable in env_PIL\Scripts\python.exe
Installing setuptools................done.
Installing pip....................done.
(env_PIL) C:\workingdir\dir space\a>pip install PIL

Output: http://pastebin.com/8iZpEkum
[Success]

#########

Also, PIL is the only thing which can't install in a virtualenv on the
other volume, other things which need to link+compile; such as
pycrypto, install without issue.

Why isn't PIL installing in any virtualenv on my other drive?

Thanks for all suggestions,

Alec Taylor

PS: In the meantime I will build all my virtualenvs on my C: