[Image-SIG] Problems converting hierarchical (pyramidal) TIFF images

feroze dawood feroze.dawood at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 01:35:34 CEST 2012

I am doing some image processing on images. I use PIL to resize the images.

The image in question is a multilayered TIFF image. When I run it through
my code, all I get is an image with a green background and no detail. It is
as if the image is being corrupted, or not being read correctly by PIL.

I have got the repro case down to a few lines of python code.

--
import os
import sys

data = None
with open(sys.argv[1]) as fp:
    data = fp.read()

img = Image.open(StringIO.StringIO(data))

print img.format, img.size, img.mode, img.getbands()
#img.show()

img1 = img.convert("RGB")
print img1.format, img1.size, img1.mode, img1.getbands()
#img1.show()

out = StringIO.StringIO()
img1.save (out, "JPEG" , quality=95)

with open(sys.argv[2], 'w') as f:
    f.write(out.getvalue())
--

At each step if you comment out the img.show() I get an image with a green
background, and no detail

I pass in <inputfile> <outputfile> as arguments to this tool

Here is the source image URL: http://feroze.s3.amazonaws.com/ptiff_file.jpg

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

feroze.