[Image-SIG] PIL Installation Issue: 2.6

Westwood, Reid T reid.t.westwood at intel.com
Mon Sep 24 20:03:26 CEST 2012

Hi, I am having trouble installing PIL 1.1.7 for Python 2.6 for Windows 7. I get the error message:

"Installation requires Python 2.6, which was not found in the registry"

I used the script found here<http://effbot.org/zone/python-register.htm>, and added some print statements. The script runs with the following values:

version = 2.6
installpath = C:\Python26
regpath = SOFTWARE\Python\Pythoncore\2.6\
pythonpath = C:\Python26;C:\Python26\Lib\;C:\Python26\DLLs\
QueryValue(reg, installkey) = C:\Python26\
QueryValue(reg, pythonkey) = C:\Python26\Lib;C:\Python26\DLLs;C:\Python26\Lib\lib-tk

After running the script, it prints:
*** Unable to register!
*** You probably have another Python installation!

Therefore, the register key is opening successfully. The QueryValue results seem to be very close to the expected values (installpath and pythonpath).

Any suggestions why the PIL installer is not seeing the Python interpreter, despite it being located where it would be expected, and the key being found in the registry? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Reid