[Image-SIG] Problem Installing PIL for Python 2.7

Gugyin Adrián adriangugyin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 23:03:21 CEST 2013

Hello!

The method described here worked for me:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3652625/installing-setuptools-on-64-bit-windows

Apparently (having faced related 64- and 32-bit issues on OS X) there is a bug
> in the Windows installer <http://bugs.python.org/issue6792>. I stumbled
> across this workaround<http://selfsolved.com/problems/setuptools-06c11-fails-to-instal/s/63>,
> which might help - basically, you create your own registry value
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Python\PythonCore\2.6\InstallPath and
> copy over the InstallPath value from
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.6\InstallPath. See the
> answer below for more details.
> If you do this, beware that setuptools *may only install 32-bit libraries*
> .

I have 64-bit Windows and Python and encountered the same problem when
installing PIL (it also comes up with other module installers), created the
registry key, set the value and after that the installer worked.
Unfortunately it seems one has to sacrifice the 64-bit libraries for this
(I'm not really into that yet).

Adrian