[Image-SIG] Installing PIL on 64 bit Windows machine

Denny Saunders DSaunders1 at socal.rr.com
Sat Mar 9 19:36:22 CET 2013

I am trying to install PIL.

I have Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:24:47) [MSC v.1500 64 bit
(AMD64)] on win32 installed in directory C:/Python27.

I downloaded and ran *Python Imaging Library 1.1.7 for Python 2.7
(Windows only)* but it reported that Python 2.7 was not found in the
registry.

I then attempted to add Python to the registry by running the code given
at http://effbot.org/zone/python-register.htm. It then gave me an I/O
warning suggesting I add  # -*- coding: cp1252 -*- to the file.  I
selected the "Edit my File" button and it added that line at the top of
my code.  I then ran the code again and got the following:

*** Unable to register!
*** You probably have another Python installation!

I haven't a clue about what to try next.  Is it that I am running 64 bit
Windows?