[Import-sig] Kick-off

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 03 Feb 2000 08:48:56 -0500

> I guess the first order of business is to establish some
> objectives. I see two goals (my version of what happend at dev-
> day):
>
> Short-term: Provide a "new architecture import hooks" module
> for the standard library. This would deprecate ihooks and
> friends, and provide developers with a way of learning the new
> architecture.
>
> Long-term: Reform the entire import architecture of Python.
> This affects Python start-up, the semantics of sys.path, and
> the C API to importing.
>
> The model for this is, of course, Greg's imputil.py (Greg, your
> latest version is not yet on your website which still has a
> November version).
>
> If this seems like a reasonable statement, I'll massage and
> expand it into the import SIG's homepage. I'll also try to
> produce legible downloads of the handouts I passed out at the
> dev day session.

One addition: at the devday meeting, Michael Reilly objected to the
notion of deprecating ihooks -- he has been using ihooks successfully
to meet his needs.  I think we should think long and hard about
thowing ihooks out -- it may be that the problem is simply that it's
not well documented (actually, undocumented is better :-).