[Import-sig] Kick-off

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:15:19 -0500

[Gordon]
> > Short-term: Provide a "new architecture import hooks" module
> > for the standard library. This would deprecate ihooks and
> > friends, and provide developers with a way of learning the new
> > architecture.

[Guido]
> One addition: at the devday meeting, Michael Reilly objected to the
> notion of deprecating ihooks -- he has been using ihooks successfully
> to meet his needs.  I think we should think long and hard about
> thowing ihooks out -- it may be that the problem is simply that it's
> not well documented (actually, undocumented is better :-).

I have badgered Michael into joining the SIG, so hopefully we
can iron this out. I didn't want to pollute the objectives with a
bunch of issues, but I'll do that now.

Controversies

1) Speed (at least when imputil is used as _the_ import
mechanism, without making use of it's new features).

2) Lack of certain hook features (I'm unclear on this; I *think*
Michael's complaints fit in here).

3) Lack of package __path__ mechanism.

4) The need to flesh out the ImportManager.

Anything else?

- Gordon