[Import-sig] Kick-off

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 19:47:28 +0100

Gordon wrote:
> Short-term: Provide a "new architecture import hooks" module=20
> for the standard library. This would deprecate ihooks and=20
> friends, and provide developers with a way of learning the new=20
> architecture.

1.6.1 <=3D version <=3D 1.7, right?

> Long-term: Reform the entire import architecture of Python.=20
> This affects Python start-up, the semantics of sys.path, and=20
> the C API to importing.

1.7 <=3D version < 3000, right?

> The model for this is, of course, Greg's imputil.py (Greg, your=20
> latest version is not yet on your website which still has a=20
> November version).

I'd like to add an ultra-short-term issue: possible changes
to 1.6.0 that makes it easier to experiment with alternate
import strategies, mostly for installation tools like gordon's
install and pythonworks' deployment subsystem.

(as discussed on last week's consortium meeting)

most importantly, I'd like to come up with a way to execute
small snippets of script code *before* Python attempts to
import stuff like exceptions.py.

</F>