[Import-sig] RE: pythonpath and COM support

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 18:32:17 -0500

Mark,

[also posting this to the import-SIG]

> I believe that we could drop putting python1x.dll in the system directory,
> but this would have the following implications:
>
> * All Python executables would need to exist in the same directory as the
> .dll.  Python.exe and Pythonw.exe already would, but "3rd party"
> executables, such as Pythonwin.exe or any other .exes supplied by extension
> authors would also need to live in that directory.  Ditto for other DLL's,
> such as pythoncom15.dll, pywintypes15.dll, etc.

Couldn't pythoncom15.dll etc. live in /DLLs? Or are they
loaded by other C extensions (using LoadLibrary instead of
PyImport_x)?

> * The path searching code would need to use the location of Python1x.dll,
> rather than the .exe, to locate the PYTHONHOME.  This would not be a huge
> change, but necessary none-the-less.

Um, why? Especially if they're the same directory ;-)?

Oh, because of COM (and exposing python15.dll as a COM
server)?

> I think this would definately be a win, and would be happy to help make this
> happen.

At the very least, would get around the must-have-admin-rights
on NT problem.

Thanks,

- Gordon