[Import-sig] Re: (Serious?) package namespace problem (and a proposal)

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:08:27 -0400

Just van Rossum wrote:

><silly-proposal>
>If relative imports as we know them are shot in the head, an
>alternative spelling for relative imports could be invented.
>Eg. with a leading period:
>
>import .some.submodule
></silly-proposal>

The import SIG is comatose, but not dead.

I can see the usefulness of relative imports, and (very) infrequently, use
them myself. But they have quite a few problems:
 - hiding modules / packages outside the current package
 - create the possibility that an app will have 2 instances of a module,
thus screwing up module globals (and very hard to debug)
 - they slow down normal imports

Their main feature is "ease of use", which can be pejoratively cast as
"programmer laziness".

not-that-I'd-ever-say-such-a-thing-ly y'rs

- Gordon