[Import-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] imputil

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:45:58 +0100

Thomas Heller wrote:

> imputil, which is now an official part of
> python, changes the semantics of sys.path
> as soon as importers are installed.
>
> On the other hand, a quick and dirty search
> finds at least these files in the standard library
> where it is assumed that sys.path is a list of strings:
>
> linecache.py, profile.py, pdb.py, pyclbr.py
>
> Should imputil be fixed to install the ImportManager
> in a different way (not installing the importers
> into sys.path), or should the library be fixed?

My understanding was that Importers need to provide
a __str__ method which is then used... haven't looked
at imputil.py in ages though, so I can't really comment.

Perhaps imputil.py should leave sys.path alone (or maybe just
wipe it from unneeded entries) and use a new sys.importers
object for the import management ?!

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg