[Import-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] Proposal for a modified import mechanism.

Prabhu Ramachandran Prabhu Ramachandran <prabhu@cyberwaveindia.com>
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:04:01 +0530

    GMcM> [snip]

    >> I guess this was unclear.  My addition is extremely simple and
    >> does not do anything new.  Here is an illustration

    GMcM> And I wasn't clear. I wasn't complaining about your
    GMcM> implementation. I was complaining that the rules of import
    GMcM> are ill-specified. There are many import hacks in use today
    GMcM> that rely on undocumented features, some of which are
    GMcM> accidental.

    GMcM> When package support was introduced, no one knew how
    GMcM> packages would end up being used. I would hate to see Python
    GMcM> stuck supporting some of this crap under the guise of
    GMcM> "backwards compatibility".

Okay, so what do you propose?  What do you think is the best
solution?? import, rimport, rrimport??

prabhu

p.s. I am not on import-sig so please cc me in on replies.  Thanks.