[Python-Dev] Re: [Import-sig] Re: Proposal for a modified import mechanism.

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:08:33 -0500 (EST)

  PR> (1) Re-nesting a package is a pain.  What I mean by re-nesting
  PR>       is
  PR>   that say I have a package, A, that is separate (and that has
  PR>   its own sub packages) and now I want it as part of another
  PR>   package, B.  Lets further suppose that the module which
  PR>   re-nests the package, B, tracks the development of A and keeps
  PR>   their copy updated.  In this case A is developed as a
  PR>   standalone package and B adds something to it that A
  PR>   cannot/refuses to use.  With the current approach B would be
  PR>   forced to modify A every time A changes in some significant
  PR>   way simply because A was re-nested.  Yes, this is contrived
  PR>   but such situations do occur.

I think we need to analyze the requirements here a lot more
carefully.  The specific question is what the packaging requirements
are for A and B.  I would like to find a solution for the problems
that lead to re-nesting, rather than trying to figure out how to make
re-nesting easier.

Jeremy