[Import-SIG] PEP 382 update

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Oct 20 04:16:50 CEST 2011

Eric, Jason, and I were just talking about getting this feature/pep going
again at last night's BACONPIG.  Thanks for updating the PEP.  I haven't read
through the new version yet.

On Oct 19, 2011, at 10:36 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>Dinu Gherman has now proposed that just changing the directory name
>itself should be sufficient, so I changed the PEP accordingly. This also
>simplifies the impact on PEP 302 importers.

I vaguely recall that something similar has been discussed on the mailing list
before, but that there were problems with directory name markers.  I could be
misremembering, and will try to find details in my archives.

Eric did remark last night that while PEP 402 is broader in scope, and *seems*
useful, we really don't know what it will break.  Still, we need to get this
feature moving again.

-Barry