[Import-SIG] import engine

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 13:42:56 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hadn't heard anything lately about the import engine.  Any news?

I believe the ball is currently with me to take Greg's pre-PEP, maybe
flesh it out a bit in a few areas and then push it to python-ideas as
a proposal for 3.3. It's been a while since I thought about it,
though, so I'll spend a bit of time trawling the list archives when I
get back to it. No promises on when that will happen though - I've
found a few more immediately useful things to be working on in
subprocess and shutil (I also still need to push the PEP 380
implementation through to completion and python-ideas is, of course, a
wonderful font of impractical ideas to spend my Python time pondering,
a number of them emanating from my own brain). With ImportEngine being
a fairly long term API cleanup project (we've coped with the current
system for a long time - what's a few more years in the grand scheme
of things?), it's fairly easy for it to get bumped down the mental "to
do" list.

It's at least still *on* the list, though :)

Cheers,
Nick.