[Import-SIG] PEP 420: Implicit Namespace Packages

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 01:51:59 CEST 2012

On 19 April 2012 21:18, Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:

> This reflects (I hope!) the discussions at PyCon. My plan is to produce
> an implementation based on the importlib code, and then flush out pieces
> of the PEP.
>
> In particular, I want to make sure the PEP addresses the various
> objections that were raised, especially by Nick.

So a namespace package is a directory (tree) on sys.path. For a standard
Python install how will these be installed?

If you need to install "foo.bar" and "foo.baz" will distutils and packaging
do the right thing? (And what specifically is the right thing for Python's
own package management tools - merging the namespace packages or keeping
them separate somehow?)

setuptools creates a new directory for each installed package and adds this
directory to sys.path using pth files. It's a bit of a hack, but it allows
namespace packages to co-exist.

Michael

> Eric.

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/