[Import-SIG] PEP 420 sprint report

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri May 4 18:50:11 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:

> 3. The zipimport finder currently looks for "path/" to detect if a
> 'directory' exists and could be a namespace portion. However, this is a
> valid zip file:
> Archive:  namespace_pkgs/missing_directory.zip
>  Length      Date    Time    Name
> ---------  ---------- -----   ----
>        0  2012-05-04 04:45   bar/
>       35  2012-05-04 04:45   bar/two.py
>       26  2012-05-04 04:45   foo/one.py
> ---------                     -------
>       61                     3 files
> The current code will treat "bar" as a possible portion, but not "foo".
> We discussed a number of ways to address this, but I'm unconvinced
> they're worth the hassle and runtime expense. But in any event, it's an
> issue for another day and doesn't affect the PEP's acceptance one way or
> the other.

FYI, the zip files produced by distutils do not include the empty
directory.  Actually, I'm not sure when/where I've ever seen an empty
directory listed in a zipfile.

IMO, the no-explicit-directory case should be handled, if for no other
reason than that it shouldn't randomly break depending on which archiving
tool you used to create the zipfile with.