[Import-SIG] PEP 420 issue: extend_path

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon May 7 19:05:01 CEST 2012

On May 07, 2012, at 12:00 PM, Eric V. Smith wrote:

>But I agree there's some little part of me that says "why should
>namespace packages get to grab string as a return type for
>find_module(), when maybe there will be some other use for strings in
>the future".
>
>For me, it comes down to future-proofing the API versus the hassle of
>defining some new class just to support a use case that may never happen.

I'm of the same opinion.  Returning strings seems useful and convenient, so I
don't have a problem with it.  I'd like a slightly more compelling argument
then *maybe* future proofing to return more complicated, but I suppose if
there's overwhelming support to return an object, that would be okay too.

-Barry