[Import-SIG] Round 2 for "A ModuleSpec Type for the Import System"

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 21:34:43 CEST 2013

On Aug 28, 2013 11:25 AM, "Brett Cannon" <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Aug 28, 2013 3:26 AM, "Nick Coghlan" <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I realised that if we're going to allow mutating the spec in create,
we're going to have to promise not to reuse them across load calls. So
loaders can be shared, but specs can't.

>> The latest version of the PEP already specifies that each module will
have its own copy, even if the spec is otherwise the same.  Perhaps it
should also make clear that loading_info should not be shared between specs.

> That's really none of our business. If loading_info is going to be up to
the finder to populate and the loader to consume as an opaque thing then we
should not dictate its usage, just say that only the corresponding loader
for the finder should use that object and that people should not expect its
interface to be stable.

Fair enough.

>>   It wouldn't hurt to also say something about allowing only one call to
load() or something along those lines.

> Why? You can create objects constantly. You should say you expect people
to use reload() to reload things, but otherwise what if I truly want to
reset the module and start from scratch with a second call to load()?

That's fine.  I'll just make sure to note what happens when the different
spec methods are called more than once.  If a loader can't handle multiple
create_module() calls, I'd expect an ImportError.

-eric